Crochet Features: The Snowflake



As I said in my previous post, I prefer my crochet creations to have a touch of whimsy to them, something a wee bit sweet, something to bring a smile to the lips on those grey, chilly mornings.  One of the decorative features I discovered early on was via the brilliant Lucy @ Attic24 - the snowflake.

Detail of my Attic24-inspired snowflake on the Cosy Snowflake Loop (loop available here on Etsy)

You can see how it turns an otherwise sweet yet simple loop into something suitably wintery? Yep, I love it too.  And with just the right colours on the border, you've got a gorgeous addition to your winter wardrobe.

The completed loop / snood, with snowflake feature and a three-coloured, tiered border in HDCs.

Lucy @ Attic24 gives clear, detailed instructions on how to make the snowflake, so I won't repeat them here, but I will give a wee bit of insight (given I've made about a hundred of these wee fellas by now).

You can make these in all sizes, with all types of yarn and with all hook sizes. If you've never made a snowflake before, I'd recommend starting with some thicker yarn and a larger hook. That way you can better see the shape starting to form, and see where your hook needs to go. Once your hands build up the muscle memory of forming these wee fellas, you can more easily downsize your hook and yarn and start creating small, delicate flakes.

So, apart from sewing these on to loops, what can you do with them? Anything! I've made snowflakes as Christmas Tree decorations for family and colleagues (using fine cotton and a tiny hook), chains of snowflakes as window decorations, colourful snowflakes with a long tail as bookmarks, and piles of DK-weight snowflakes as a meditation for my hands.

So, my top tip for today? Visit the brilliant Attic24, and get snowflaking! Christmas is just around the corner...

One more example of a delicious snowflake, on my Cosy Woollen Snowflake Loop, available here on Etsy.


Wishing you a fabulous day,
Jacqueline @ Made in Rentzschmühle

p.s. It would be lovely to see you in our Facebook group for more crafty goodness!





Comments

Popular Posts