Crochet the Blues Away


Almost every evening here in the Rentzschmühle you'll find me in my "crochet corner", working away at this, that or the other.  A blanket, neck warmer, Christmas decoration, beanie.  My hands are never still.  I take yarn with me to BBQs, afternoon teas, on planes, in the car.  One might say it's obsessive, but actually, crochet holds a far deeper purpose for me. And I wonder if it's the same for you?  And if not crochet, then some other activity?

For me, crochet helps keep my anxiety disorder under control, in winter it helps keep the winter blues away.  Working delicious yarn into something practical, something beautiful, something someone is going to enjoy, keeping an image of the recipient in my mind, makes me smile. The black dog stops panting down my neck and retreats for a while, leaving me in peace.

Two winters ago was tough - we'd returned from a fabulous eight months in Australia just in time for the grey months of Europe and settling back was difficult.  Here in the valley, beautiful as it is, we get even fewer daylight hours than "up top", and so homesickness and darkness crept into my bones.  That was also the winter when so many asylum seekers started their dangerous journeys across unforgiving seas, through freezing forests, looking for a safer life.  The need was overwhelming. I couldn't do anything to help, but I couldn't do nothing.

And so I picked up my crochet hook and started to make beanies.  Big, small, colourful, plain, striped, bubbly... beanies for people I would never meet, but whose heads would hopefully be somewhat warmer, who would know that someone cares for them.  With each beanie, the darkness in my bones lightened.

So when you see me crocheting in my wee corner here in the Rentzschmühle, or when you buy one of my creations on Etsy, know that it's filled with love, hope, positivity and a small smile.

If you have a craft or hobby which lifts you up, please share it with me! I'd love to know what you do!

Comments

Popular Posts