Mind Your Beeswax


We spent Saturday afternoon at a house hidden away deep in the forest, somewhere near Zeulenroda. While children raced around with nets looking for frogs, we parents sat around the fire pit talking about this, that, and the other.  It struck me, towards the end of the evening, that the host and hostess were apiarists and that perhaps, just perhaps, I could ask for some beeswax to render, purify, and use in my lip balm and body truffles.  Success!

The only problem was, as I realised on Sunday morning, I'd never rendered and purified beeswax before.  Not to be deterred by this triviality, I asked the oracle - Google. And was not disappointed.

Chopped up wax waiting to be cleaned up

Armed with an unused pair of pantyhose, saucepan of boiling rain water, and a smile, I set to work.  Truth be told?  It was kind of messy and I may have made a bit of a mess of things, but the end result is fabulous - a delicious colour, gorgeous light aroma, and the knowledge that the next batch of lip balm I make is going to be authentically local.  Can't wait for the new jars to arrive so I can get cracking!  Will keep you posted.

This is what to expect when the new batch of lip balm is made!

SaveSave

Comments

Popular Posts